Cape Lodge

GG’s birthday is actually on March 18th so I knew when the Monday rolled around, which was the last day of our South West mini break, that I wanted to book in somewhere special for us. Now an incredibly special spot in the South West is Cape Lodge. In my mind, just wistfully wanting over the website, it’s the number one place in the South West I’d like to stay. And this opinion was confirmed when on the Monday morning GG and I drove down their drive way.

What a stunning setting! So entirely peaceful and serene. I could only imagine the delight of staying there one day. But on this visit our focus was on breakfast. So we wandered into the main office and were then directed down the path into the restaurant.

The setting is just so picturesque! Overlooking a lake it’s an entirely pretty setting. We took our seat in front of the expansive window and took in the view in front of us.

The way breakfast works at Cape Lodges (for non guests at least) is that for $45 you head there is an decadent array of pastry treats, the most indulgently thick, freshly sliced bread and then there was cereals with fresh fruit.

However the piece de la resistance was that you got to choose the dish you’d like from the menu they provided.

The toughest decision was which of the cooked breakfast options to have. There was the sweet brioche option, which sounded very tempting, but we both swayed towards the savoury and while I very nearly ordered the Eggs En Cocotte, we both selected the Cape Lodge Breakfast – Margaret River free range eggs, bacon, pan fried zucchini, house made kangaroo sausage and baked beans. Too hard to go past! I think it was the kangaroo snags that got us both over the line.

Now coffee was available either coffee machine style or plunger. We opted for a plunger and that along with freshly squeezed juice did not take too long to arrive. Like the venue itself, service was polished.

There was quite an understated elegance to the dining room. They even have a big fire place that I can only imagine looks entirely magic at dinner time in winter. One day…..

So ahead of our hot meals arrived we wandered up to the buffet area and helped ourselves to a few of the freshly baked goods. I started with a few of these precious little croissants they had along with some of their fresh jams. Divine! GG helped himself to two thick slices of toast and it did look wonderful.

I was just about to head up for some fresh fruit when I spied our hot meals about to be delivered. The meals were very well presented and smelt fabulous. I eagerly loaded up my fork! It tasted as impressive as it looked! We were right to be keen on kangaroo sausages, they packed a punched on the flavour front – yum! I liked the inclusion of zucchini too, ticked the box for some greens. And the home made baked beans were entirely delicious.

But eggs are the real test for me of a good ‘big breakfast’ so I sliced into my poached egg with much anticipation.

Will you look at that golden, oozy  yolk! I snapped a quick pic and couldn’t wait to dig in! They were some great eggs. Plus it also gave me a chance to try the thick toast I had been eye balling. It had been liberally spread with butter, which really served to add to what was a very good bit of toast.

It was a really lovely cooked breakfast and on finishing my plate I couldn’t imagine eating another thing! The birthday boy however still had a little room left and went and got one of the banana and walnut muffins, which we decided would make a good birthday cake.

I had enjoyed our visit to Cape Lodge. It is a beautiful spot, with excellent service and the food was all freshly prepared and thoughtfully plated. Yes, $45 for breakfast is on the expensive side, but for a special occasion like a birthday I was glad we got to experience a taste of the magic of Cape Lodge :)

Happy Birthday GG!

Cape Lodge Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Fine Dining, Hotel, Reviews, Winery

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “Cape Lodge”

1. April 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM #

Oh I like this place looks like a tea estate from one of the American movies. Love the way they have displayed the cakes etc. very unique

• April 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM #

It was all so pretty!! Good special occasion place :)

2. May 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM #

My favourite hotel on the planet. We try to go once a year or thereabouts. It is complete understated luxury. Tony Howell’s food makes me want to sing. LOVE Cape Lodge x

• May 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM #

Then I’m all the more convinced that I need to stay there! It seemed so peaceful :)

• May 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM #

You must! They have a winter special on now I think. Dinner there will blow your mind. So simple, yet so perfect. The menu changes daily, depending on what produce the chef buys on the day. They have recently planted fruit trees and a veggie garden too. Best rooms are Forest Spa suites :)

• May 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM #

GG and I do have our first anniversary in August, will have to look into it!

• May 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM #

And..they also do cooking classes! It’s pricy, I’ve not cooked there, but stayed and eaten there 5 or 6 times. Magnificent!

3. Tasty Liaison
    May 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM #

Carly! I’ve nominated you for the liebster award!!

4. June 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM #

Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is
    awesome, great written and include almost all important infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .

5. June 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM #

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be
    honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. Many thanks

6. July 11, 2013 at 4:10 AM #

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe this amazing site needs far more attention.
    I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the advice!

1. WA Good Food Guide Awards 2014 – Winners! | perthmunchkin - November 18, 2014

[…] Cape Lodge […]