Accento Italian Cooking Series

I really love Italian food. The indulgence of fresh pasta, the delight of a proper Italian pizza – generally light on the toppings but big on the taste, lovingly prepared tomato sauces, the rich flavours of osso bucco, delicious anti pasto – from cured meats, arancini, cheeses…. the list of decadent Italian cuisine that I fancy could go on and on…. And I didn’t even start on desserts… gelati, creamy and just that little bit boozy tiramisu – forget about it, it’s all great! So given my high level of appreciation for Italian fare you can imagine how delightful it was to be recently asked along to a preview evening for the six-part Accento Italian Cooking Series, an upcoming series of classes that is being held in conjunction with Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry at the Accento Showroom in Claremont.

So how does it all work? From May through to September there will be six classes held by six West Aussie based Italian chefs, all of whom have been awarded the Italian Government’s quality seal, Ospitalità Italiana. And what is Ospitalità Italiana? It is a quality seal, the certification in hospitality recognised by the Italian Government. It was created to promote the traditions of Italian agricultural and food products and value Italian gastronomic culture. Examples of the criteria that are assessed include:

• The use of certified ingredients of Italian origin
  • The presence of personnel able to interact with clients in Italian and other typical Italian elements
  • A menu and wine list that contain traditional certified products including extra virgin olive oil
  • At least one person in the kitchen who can attest experience and proficiency in Italian cooking

This certification is limited to restaurants and more than 1000 have been recognised worldwide. Despite 2011 being the first year that Italian restaurants in Australia were considered for Ospitalità Italiana certification there are now eleven certified here in Western Australia!

• Galileo Buona Cucina (Shenton Park) – Vincenzo Soresi
  • Gargano (Nedlands) – Mario Gorgoglione
  • Italians (East Perth) – Luca Galaverna
  • Maretti Caffe’ Cucina (Mosman Park) – Matteo Maretti
  • Maurizio Restaurant (Perth) – Maurizio Di Ciano
  • Millioncino (Perth) – Maurizio Quaquarelli
  • Modo Mio (Burswood) – Andrea Tranchero
  • Osteria dei Sapori (Nedlands) – Mario Tolardo
  • Paradiso Restaurant (Attadale) – Giuseppe Anastasio
  • Perugino (West Perth) – Guiseppe Pagliaricci
  • Villa D’Este’ (West Perth) – Enrico Moschetti

The six different classes will cover a range of both traditional and modern Italian cooking styles each week in an Italian designed kitchen. A selection of fabulous imported Italian products will feature from European Foods, Gusto Italia and Single Vineyard Sellers, and also Terranova fresh meat.

Specific details of each of the classes can be found and places booked here:

From the food I was fortunate enough to sample last night was divine and I can only say I can’t wait to sign up to a class and learn some of the tricks of the trade from these Italian masters!

And as noted by Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Secretary General Marco Mari, “Guests will learn techniques and specific Italian dishes, and they will also taste all the dishes and sample matched Italian wines, so we advise guests to come along with an empty stomach!”

My kind of class! Learning and eating :)

He also added that, “For the same price as eating out at a good restaurant, guests have the added bonus of taking home new skills, making it exceptional value for money.

All demonstrations start at 6.30pm and the cost per class is $90 or $500 for the series of six. Class numbers are limited to 30 participants.

And in case you need further inspiration here’s a few happy snaps from the dishes prepared last night by Egidio Squillace from Event Style and Guiseppe Pagliaricci from Perugino Restaurant.

My big thanks to the ICCI and Pronto PR for the invitation. Bellissimo!

(Very hard to pick a favourite dish but for me it was a tough call between the indulgence of the deep fried mozzarella balls, the gnocchi was pillow soft and just so decadently creamy and the lamb chops were cooked to pink perfection – yum!)

Prawn and pesto sauce

Scallop carpaccio with mango

Pumpkin and smoked cheese dumpling

Bacala (cod) and potato fritters or Bacala (cod) fritters (without potato)

Herbed Focaccia

Prawns and pancetta with balsamic

Crostini with Italian sausage and cheese

Crostini with cheese and truffle

Deep fried mozzarella balls

Gnocchi with gorgonzola, apple, parmesan and pine nuts

Ravioli filled with potato, cheddar, and proscuito di San Daniele with a pumpkin sauce and a dash of béchamel

Rack of lamb cooked with olive oil, lemon juice and oregano

Chicken with olive oil, mint, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper AND Rabbit with black olives and white wine

Macadamia panna cotta with white chocolate sauce or Pistachio panna cotta with berry sauce

Perugino on Urbanspoon

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Events, Italian, Reviews

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

21 Comments on “Accento Italian Cooking Series”

1. May 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM #

A terrific post. Those photos are making me hungry…! Which class are you going to go to?

• May 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM #

Thanks :) there are three I’m trying to decide between. Very tempting menus!

2. May 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM #

Wow I am gonna sign up for the next class. Awesome post, looks superb

• May 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM #

Too kind! I keep pondering over the different classes. All the menus look delicious!

• May 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM #

Seriously babe your pictures made me wanna sign up. I am gonna sign up now. I can only do the next class because after that I am moving to Baldivis which is another country on its own I guess :)

• May 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM #

Did you go to the Italian cooking class on Monday night? How’d it go?

• May 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM #

No I didn’t. I am moving so crazy busy :(

• May 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM #

Hope all goes well with the move! :)

• May 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM #

Yeah hope so too :)

3. May 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM #

I must look into these classes. Or even make a stop at one of the restaurants. I remember passing Maurizio Restaurant everyday as student at WAAPA. Now I have no excuse, with the restaurant such an honour and it being so close to home. Great post!

4. May 10, 2013 at 5:05 AM #

Great post! It was such a fun night and I think we all ate enough to feed a whole army. My favourites were definitely the lamb chops with a close second tie between the pistachio pannacotta and the pancetta wrapped prawns with balsamic. Hungry now!

5. May 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM #

Hey! This post could not be written any better!

Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him.

Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you
    for sharing!

6. June 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM #

A name that evokes strong memories of a gentler, more leisurely, stately pace of life. Be it real[6 Comments]

Eating as a sport, when you think about it, is rather against the ethos of being a foodie. In competitive eating, you have to eat vast quantities within in a short span of time. To be at the top of one’s game, the “athelete” should ideally have the ability to unhinge one’s jaw and ingest […] . Those photos are making me hungry…! Which class are you going to go to?

7. November 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM #

I just like the valuable information you supply to your
    articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and test once more here regularly.
    I’m relatively sure I will be informed a lot of new stuff proper right here!
    Good luck for the next!

8. December 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM #

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.

Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but
    I never seem to get there! Many thanks

1. Cook like an Italian | Travelletto - May 8, 2013