The “It’s Not Easy Being (Thai) Green” Roast Chicken

On the March long weekend I got it in my head that I wanted to roast a chook for dinner. But I decided I wanted to mix it up and had a few ideas on the flavour front. So quick, quick! To the fridge and pantry it was hunting time!

Ingredients

• I largeΒ whole chook
  • 4 green chilli’s
  • A 2cm piece of ginger
  • Large bunch of coriander
  • 1 can of coconut cream
  • 2 limes (zest and juice)

So it’s very easy. Throw all these ingredients (just not the chook!) in a food processor or Thermomix and blitz it together. Sorted!

Then I have this stand up roasting pan that I bought from Coles from the Curtis Stone range a while backΒ but it’s essentially like beer can chicken, which some folks may have previously cooked on the BBQ. You basically just want the chook standing up.

So with it elegantly propped up you want to loosen the skin so that when you pour in the sauce it’s right up against the breast meat. Pour in as much sauce as you can and then pour the rest over the bird.

Now an extra thing I do at the point is cut off a decent piece of butter and balance it on top of the bird. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and it’s time for the oven. I had the oven around 180C and it was in there for nearly and hour and a half for a 1.5kg chicken. While it is in the oven make sure you baste the chook several times. And for its last 10 minutes I cranked the oven to 210C to crisp up the skin.

I’ve made this twice now so here’s two before and after action shots from each time.

Round One

1654276_595319870553370_2131448811_n

Round Two

1966766_605319199553437_1695339147_n

So easy as that and slightly different to your standard Sunday roast.

Round One

1899979_595319930553364_506767692_n

Round Two

1743738_605363666215657_137782533_n

I served it up with steamed rice and also kai lan with oyster sauce. I enjoyed the flavours, quite Thai inspired and the chilli added a little kick, which well balanced the rice.

1509138_595319970553360_119709042_n

1800219_595320017220022_1610602736_n

How do you change up your roast chook? Would love to hear your recipe πŸ™‚

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Recipes

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

6 Comments on “The “It’s Not Easy Being (Thai) Green” Roast Chicken”

1. Kanni
    March 28, 2014 at 7:56 AM #

what an interesting recipe, looking forward to trying it myself one night! Thanks for the post ^-^

• March 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM #

It’s a nice easy one but I thought it was pretty tasty πŸ™‚ good to mix up a roast chook

2. March 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM #

Reminds me of my take on Gratin-influenced baked green curry rice. Far from perfect but great way to dispose leftover Thai green curry.

• March 30, 2014 at 7:55 AM #

Oooo I’ll check your recipe out – sounds good! πŸ™‚

3. April 2, 2014 at 4:10 PM #

I’ve just prepped my coconut cream concoction to roast my chook, I added lime zest, cumin & coriander powders, subbed ginger powder because I don’t have fresh & it’s developing now before I pop it in the oven. Can’t wait to taste it!

• April 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM #