Summer is the perfect time for salads and they are even better when they are pretty like this one. I initially read the recipe here, though I made a few small tweaks when I gave it a whirl at home. It was actually pretty filling for the two of us! Enough for lunch the next day 🙂
- 2 chicken breast
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 pita bread
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 litre chicken stock
- ¼ Spanish onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 apricots (deseeded and halved)
- ½ pomegranate seeded
- ½ cup of fresh mint leaves
- Half a tub of hummus
- 2 baby cucumbers (peeled into ribbons)
- Place chicken breasts in a pot with the chicken stock and simmer away until chicken is cooked, about 15-20 minutes. When the chicken is ready, pop it on a plate and with two forks shred it into pieces. Set aside.
- Mix together 2 tbps olive oil and crushed garlic. Brush it onto the pita bread and pop into a moderate oven for 5-10 minutes until the starts to go golden and crispy. Break into smaller pieces.
- Take a large serving platter and smear on dollops of hummus. Arrange pita bread pieces on top, around the plate.
- Artistically layer on the other fresh ingredients, arrange all the different colours to keep things looking bright.
- Drizzle on remaining olive oil over top of dish.
- Dig in! You can either serve onto smaller plates or sit close by to your someone special and share the big platter together and get hand on with the pita bread.