A lovely lady I know was soon having a birthday and had recently taken to raw desserts so I wanted to whip her up something raw for a dinner party we were both attending and I was on dessert. So the challenge was on so it was quick to the internet!
I found a very delicious looking recipe for a chocolate looking cheese cake here for Raw Vegan Triple Chocolate Cream Cakes. I was definitely not in my comfort zone in this raw space but was up for the challenge.
So my first stop was to Kakulas Sister in Nollamara where thankfully I could find all the ingredients on the list below! I think I literally skipped out of the store with glee that it had been that easy 🙂
Now I knew I didn’t have a whole bunch of teeny tiny cheesecake tins so I Macgyver’d the situation and lined a friand tin with glad wrap. And I was ready to go!
- 1 cup pecan meal (just ground up pecans, can use any nut meal of liking)
- 3-4 medjool dates (or 2-3 tbsp maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (cocoa powder)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Place all ingredients into a food processor, blender or Thermomix and blitz until combined. You want the crust to slightly stick together.
- Grab your friand tin and spoon the pecan chocolate crust mix into the tins. Press down the mix with fingers to firmly place the crust into the individual tins.
- When done set aside as you prepare your filling.
- 2 cups cashew, pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid
- 1/2 cup agave nectar ( or you may use maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Soak cashews for about 10- 15 minutes and then rinse them well.
- Then place the cashews into your blender, food processor or Thermomix with agave nector, vanilla, and water. Blend for a little bit to get it creamy.
- Next add in your cacao powder and coconut oil. Now blend till creamy. You may have to scrape down the sides a few times and then keep blending till it is nice and smooth. I used a Thermomix and really cranked it high to make sure the mix was very smooth
When the filling is ready, spoon it into the friand tins and quick to the freezer! I left it in there for a good few hours and only took it out right before serving.
While the recipe I followed suggested you could top with a healthy chocolate sauce or pecans I opted for fresh strawberries.
I hadn’t been sure how the raw cakes would work out but the birthday girl was happy and I’ll admit that I didn’t mind them. They were incredibly rich though! Surprising for a cake just full of nuts and nectar! But hey it was a first go and who knows maybe I’ll find a few more raw dishes in my repertoire in the near future.
It can be fun to get RAW 🙂