It’s going to be a hot one in Perth this week so this dessert should help to cool you down. It’s the first time I’ve tried to make a semifreddo, but I was pretty happy with the creamy, tropical result 🙂
You can really mix it up with whatever flavours are your favourite, but for me, these worked a treat.
Give it a whirl!
Mango and Coconut Semifreddo with Macadamia and Lime Sand
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 scraped vanilla bean
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 600ml whipping cream
- 2 mangoes
- 2 limes (zest)
- ½ cup of coconut cream
- ½ cup of macadamia nuts
- 170ml of passionfruit puree (tinned or fresh)
- Optional: A few drops of coconut essence for extra flavour
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and using a hand-held electric mixer, beat for 6–8 minutes or until thick and pale. (Wear an oven mitt because it can get warm over the saucepan).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender or small mixer, place the pieces of one peeled mango and the coconut cream and blitz until smooth. If you prefer a stronger coconut flavour add in a few drops of coconut essence.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream through the cooled egg mixture until well combined and then carefully fold in the mango and coconut mix.
- Pour the mixture into a 2 litre-capacity metal tin (partially lining the tin with baking paper will make it a little easier to get out) and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, take out of the freezer for 10 or so minutes so it easily slides out of the tin. If it doesn’t come out easily then you can run a knife under warm water and run it around the edge of the tin.
- Pop the macadamia nuts and lime zest in a mixer and blitz until it resembles grainy green sand.
- Cut the remaining mango into slices and top the semifreddo with a generous drizzle of passionfruit puree, the fresh mango slices and a sprinkle of the lime and macadamia sand.
- Ready to serve!