I love cheese and one of the most fun cheeses, if there is such a thing as a fun cheese, is haloumi. I think it’s because when you take the time to pan fry some haloumi, it is sheer perfection. I think it’s the squeak. That wonderful squeak you can hear as you chew it. Love it, just love it to bits.
So here is a recipe for a jazzed up Caprese Salad, which features none other than a little haloumi. It is literally one of my most favourite salads. Like ever.
- 1 punnet of Multi coloured tomatoes
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 block of haloumi
- 1/2 Spanish onion
- Cape Farm Caramelised Balsamic Salad Dressing – this is my favourite, but any balsamic will do the job.
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Take a large bowl.
- Slice your block of haloumi into cubes. Heat a frying pan to very hot and place your cubes in until they are browned on each side.
- Slices your tomatoes in half and place in bowl.
- Tear basil leaves into bowl.
- Thinly slice the Spanish onion, into the bowl too.
- Pop in your haloumi
- Splash on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with a little rock salt and black pepper.
- Gently stir so everything is combined and coated with the oil and vinegar.
- Ready to serve!
This salad goes really well with a few spuds and steak or chicken schnitzel. It is delicious, it is a great excuse to eat haloumi and it is just so pretty. Like a tomato rainbow.