Homemade Sausage Rolls – First go, getting it done!

I love sausage rolls. They are a delicious pastry wonder. Add tomato sauce and forget about it – just perfection! But I’ve never made them at home. But I thought the time was right to give them a red hot go.

A wee while back I had ordered a magic box ofΒ beef from Hampshire Grass Fed Beef and I knew I had a packet of sausages in the freezer but I’d never gotten around to eating them. But with sausage rolls on my mind I defrosted the packet I had and it was time to cook!

Filling Ingredients

• Hampshire Grass Fed Beef Sausages
  • Brown Onions (finely diced)
  • Garlic (finely diced)
  • Thyme (a big ol bunch)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 egg

So I took the pack of sausages and squeezed out all their fillings into a bowl. I then added all the other ingredients and gave it a good mix around. The only other ingredients I forgot to add above was sheets of puff pastry, another egg (whisked in a bowl) and a few sesame seeds.

I took a square of puff pastry and cut it in half. I then arranged a line of filling along the centre of the pastry. On one edge I coated with the egg wash and rolled it up. I then cut it into pieces and arranged it seam side down on a tray lined with baking paper. Brush with a little more egg wash and sprinkle on some sesame seeds and it’s time for the oven.

1175073_614320028653354_7827188542777621749_n

Place the tray in the oven, preheated at 200C for 20 minutes, then drop the temp to 180 for the last 10 minutes.

I was pretty happy with how they worked out. Thankfully we had tomato sauce in the cupboard. Time for lunch!

10256986_614329551985735_5315618747560701127_n

So tell me folks, what do you put in your sausage roll recipe – would love to give another batch a go!

1069844_614329591985731_1878158538133004196_n 10155061_614329638652393_5098829307237523029_n1510650_614329608652396_4974501803179094984_n

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Dude Food, Recipes

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Homemade Sausage Rolls – First go, getting it done!”

1. April 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM #

What a nice recipe! Sausage rolls are always my personal treat! Thanks for sharing!

2. April 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM #

Great idea to use sausage mince for the filling… automatically seasoned! I’ve only made sausage rolls a couple of times but I usually use good-quality beef mince plus pork for the added fat and flavour. I love heaps of herbs and usually some finely grated zucchini and carrot… for both flavour and textural reasons. Yum! Yours sound great though, love the adaptation that came from a leftover packet of sausages! x

• April 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM #

I think I have to try throwing a few veggies in the mix next time πŸ™‚ great plan! πŸ™‚

3. carly
    April 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM #

I use half sausage meat, half mince, fry up onion and garlic with paprika (yes paprika!).
    Cool then add to mince, add egg, fresh chopped basil and parsley, bread crumbs (a little), barbeque sauce and tomato sauce, salt & pepper. Cut up your pastry and grate some cheese and add a little bit to each strip of meat you do. cheese is the secret ingredient!!

• April 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM #

That sounds delicious!! Will definitely have to try this πŸ™‚ Thanks for that!

4. May 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM #

Sausage rolls are the business!! http://cookingwithmrfitz.com/?s=sausage+rolls&x=0&y=0

• May 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM #

I totally agree! I can’t wait to make more πŸ™‚